Thursday, July 17, 2008

Money Money Money

A while ago, I was researching about the good savings accounts to save all the loose change I have and as I was doing that, I came across a lot of good personal finance blogs. I noticed a lot of tips and practices that were being discussed and I would like to know how it applies to Indians. I like to save money as much as the other man, but I want to be smart not cheap and I don't realise where frugal fits in.

I have a list of situations below and I have three possible responses to each.

1) This is lousy. It's wrong immorally/legally - Skank
2) Well, I don't think it's wrong, but it's borderline - Cheap
3) Yup, that's a good one. I do it/like to do this - Smart

It would be great if you can classify each situation as Skank, Cheap or Smart. Because I want to be neutral, I am going to reserve my comments until I get good response.


1) Printing personal stuff on the office printer

2) Taking office stationery or pens home

3) Buying clothes at Walmart or thrift/second hand clothing stores

4) Driving without the ac on on a hot day to save gas

5) Taking home sugar or ketchup packets, tissues, plastic cutlery etc home from a fast food joint.

6) Tipping less than 15% or even not tipping

7) Sharing a refill drink

8) Sneaking soda and snacks into the movie theatre

9) Insist on separate checks when going out on a group

10) Cutting coupons and shopping at 3 different stores for monthly groceries

Here you are, 10 easy questions. And I would really appreciate a response guys. Please do ask these questions to your friends and it would be great to get more responses. I am not going to do a study or thesis with these results, but I think it would be fun to know what majority people like.

So answer away people!!

8 comments:

kaushik said...

1) Printing personal stuff on the office printer: Depends. If it is a page or two, I don't mind it.

2) Taking office stationery or pens home: Well, I am given stationary for free by my adviser. So, i won't comment

3) Buying clothes at Walmart or thrift/second hand clothing stores: Cheap. Second hand clothing...sounds yucck

4) Driving without the ac on on a hot day to save gas: cheap.

5) Taking home sugar or ketchup packets, tissues, plastic cutlery etc home from a fast food joint. Mega Cheap

6) Tipping less than 15% or even not tipping: Not tipping: is immoral

15%??? I tip the tax amount mostly.

7) Sharing a refill drink

8) Sneaking soda and snacks into the movie theatre: Smart!!! They overcharge inside (atleast in India)

9) Insist on separate checks when going out on a group
Depends. There are many places which ask if they want the check split.
10) Cutting coupons and shopping at 3 different stores for monthly groceries Cheap! I dont have patience. I go to one place every 3 months :p

Sandeep said...

Wow!the finance blog mania really seems to have gotten you!!!

Wot I think..

1) Printing personal stuff on the office printer - This is acceptable as long as you don't print 1000s pages of ebooks;-)

2) Taking office stationery or pens home - An occasional 1 or 2 seems to be harmless unless the name of your game is "Don't buy any stationaries at home.we have office for that"

3) Buying clothes at Walmart or thrift/second hand clothing stores - Skank, Sooper cheap

4) Driving without the ac on on a hot day to save gas - OMG - this is Ultra cheap!!

5) Taking home sugar or ketchup packets, tissues, plastic cutlery etc home from a fast food joint - Skank^infinity.

6) Tipping less than 15% or even not tipping - Not tipping is brutal unless the service was really pathetic. 15-20% for ok-good service is what I go by.

7) Sharing a refill drink - Now this is cheap.

8) Sneaking soda and snacks into the movie theater - This is acceptable.

9) Insist on separate checks when going out on a group - I personally never do this. I mean c'mon what the heck...are you scared that each your folks are gonna con you outa 20 bucks??!!

10) Cutting coupons and shopping at 3 different stores for monthly groceries - This is really smart if you have the patience to do it!!

Seringa aabisar.....unga researcha continue pannunga!!

Jinguchakka said...

Only 3 and 4 are fine with me.

#9 is part of American culture and whether it is okay or not depends on how Americanised you are.

As for #6, I think 10-13% is a decent tip.

Others you better avoid.

My two cents, J!

Jinguchakka said...

# 10 is also fine with me.

And to reiterate, I don't see anything cheap or wrong in buying from Walmart. Better be smart and shop for less than be snobbish and pay more.

Unknown said...

@all - Thanks guys for the prompt comments. I know it's usually just the 3 of you who read my blog and comment, but I am going to hold for a few days to see if other souls comment. :-)

totti said...

I guess my tipping tendencies have changed after reading waiterrant :). But,i do not overtip too, usually 15 %. I actually think saving Gas is not cheap at all. In fact, doing anything to save gas is the smartest thing to do. Not to an extent of making others uncomfortable. If i am driving alone, i just roll the windows down (not on Interstates). Not enough patience with coupons but it is good to go after deals. I never get the rebates intime though :)

janani said...

@totti - Long time! :-)

Yeah Waiterrant influenced my tipping too. And I hear ya about the gas. Neways I am planning another post answering the questions I've posted.

poonguzhali said...

1 .Doesnt matter if it is less that 10 pages.
2. Its depends on how many you are taking? If it is one or 2 doesnt matter
3. Nothing wrong buying in wall mart. I have seen many people have this tendency. They prefer to buy in costly shop doesnt matter whether its worth or not. They live for others shake. If you like a dress, you shouldnt worry about the money whether it is cheap or costly, is it frm wallmart or MAcy's. It should not matter.
They have the idea that, I should buy from a costly shop and wear a shirt with the brand name visible. This is cheap indian behaviour.

4. We are from India, sun shouldnt matter much. I prefer not to switch on AC unless its manageable. Its good to save gas.

5. No fast food center gives 10 packets Ketchup if you buy one sandwich. If you are not using your single packet, take it with u. doesnt matter whether you eat that packet at the shop or at home.

6. Tipping 10%- 15% is decent.

8. Smart idea.

9. When you are not ready to pay for your friend's grocery better get a separate check. American culture.

10. Very smart. Look for the place where you get things cheaper provided you ve time. You dont need to try this every month. You should ve knowledge to choose the best in one or 2 attempts.